If your office is like most offices, it's not a good place for doing your best work. Check out 100 Reasons Why You Don't Get Your Best Ideas At Work at the Heart of Innovation blog. That's right, 100 reasons. Here are just a few of them:
- Too many distractions and interruptions.
- Boring meetings that put you in a bad mood.
- It's too noisy.
- You are too busy deleting spam.
- Your office or cubicle feels like a jail cell.
- You're too busy filling out forms.
- Not enough coffee.
- There's a call on Line 2.
- You have to stay focused on the "job at hand".
- Those bright, annoying, overhead fluorescent lights.
I sometimes wonder if modern office design is part of an al Qaeda plot to bring down the West through stifled creativity and crushed productivity.
A solution? Have other places you can go to get stuff done, to think, to dream, to concentrate. That can make all the difference.