I want to point out just a few of the more common and costly mistakes I see made all the time:
- Believing that your donors are going to read your letter word for word.
- Failure to understand that most literate people, highly educated or not, are most comfortable reading at a basic level.
- Failure to understand and respect elderly women.
- Being brainwashed by the philosophy that 'our donors are busy and only have time to read short letters'.
- Writing a package and then surrendering it to an artist.
- Letting your donors go for months and months without having the opportunity to make a gift to your organization.
- Pulling your large donors out of the communication flow.
But go read the whole tutorial. He gives 35 mistakes, all of them terrible, and all of them dismayingly frequent.