Wouldn't you love to create some kind of breakthrough that would dramatically improve your ability to influence people, raise funds, get volunteers, and change the world?
A lot of smart nonprofits are trying to do just that. Too many of them, though, are barking up the wrong tree. Doesn't matter how long or loud they bark. It's the wrong tree. The Breakthrough Squirrel isn't up there.
The wrong tree
- Better color pallet, modern-looking fonts, new and improved logo.
- Really cool mission statement.
- Tightly defined brand personality.
- Massive PR and/or advertising campaign.
The right tree
- Stronger, more specific calls to action.
- More choice for donors.
- More authenticity and connection for donors.
- More thanking and reporting back to donors.
In other words, the Breakthrough Squirrel is up in the Donor Tree. Not the Brand Tree. You'll catch it by focusing on donors, not inward on yourself.