Here are 5 Myths About Social Media for Nonprofit Organizations from the Good Counsel blog:
- Social media is a great way to fundraise.
- Social media will get people to do something for us or drive more traffic to our website.
- A nonprofit's 'follower' numbers directly translates in to memberships, dollars in the door or increased event attendance.
- Social media will fix all the problems, and is a great strategy for nonprofits.
- Social media is a fad, and we can just ignore it until it goes away.
I half-way agree with #5. Actually, for fundraising purposes, social media is largely a fad (actually several rising and falling fads), but it would be foolish to just ignore it. Social media in some form is likely to become much more than a fad, possibly even a great medium for raising funds. Pay attention, because the switch is likely to be subtle and quick.