Here's a happy story from Kivi's Nonprofit Communications Blog: How Overhauling Our Print Newsletter Helped Us Become More Donor Centric.
It's about how an organization called Workers Interfaith Network overhauled their newsletter -- and the dramatic improvements that happened.
Here are some of the changes they made:
- Went from 8 pages to 4.
- Changed from one color (printed on the office copier) to two colors.
- Went from a self-sealed mailer to mailing it in an envelope.
- Changed from a neutral, journalistic tone to a "direct mail" style of copy (using the word "you" a lot).
- From long, complex articles to articles written for skimming.
- Shifted from focusing on what WIN was doing to making it about what donors accomplish.
The results: Donations attributed to the newsletter have tripled.
You can do this too, and quite possibly see similar improvements.