One of the smarter things you can do to improve your fundraising revenue is create a monthly giving program and get as many donors to join it as possible. The long-term value of those donors will skyrocket -- not only because their cumulative annual giving will be higher, but because their year-to-year retention will skyrocket.
Creating a program of this sort is not a small task. Here's some help from Fired Up Fundraising, at 18 Tips to Create a Wildly Profitable Monthly Giving Program:
- Get your organization's commitment.
- Be prepared to invest time and resources.
- Put one person in charge.
- Get a seamless back end system in place.
- Identify your most likely monthly giving prospects.
- Create mini-campaigns targeted to specific segments of donors.
- Use different channels.
- Use the phone for followup.
- Show donors how their monthly gift buys something specific.
- Ask for upgrades often.
- Offer monthly giving to all donors in their thank you letters.
- Test, test and test some more.
- Add urgency to your pitch.
- Give monthly giving space on your home page.
- Give your monthly giving donors a cool brand.
- Give monthly giving donors terrific customer service.
- Use a welcome kit.
- Find special ways to thank them.