Email fundraising is hard. Response rates are low. The rules keep changing. It's hard to know when you're successful.
Here are some misconceptions that might be keeping you from doing your best work, from the Constant Contact blog, at 5 Email Marketing Misconceptions that Could Be Holding You Back:
- All email is spam (spam is in the inbox of the beholder)
- People don't like reading emails
- People can't unsubscribe (it's good when someone who doesn't want your material unsubscribes)
- You need special expertise or training (if you know fundraising, you're 90% of the way to knowing email fundraising)
- Email isn't as effective as social media (usually, it's more effective)
If you believe these things, you will make them true.