It's easy to say you're donor-focused. But what exactly does it mean in your day-to-day life?
Here's good advice from the GuideStar Blog on ways you can reap the rewards of focusing on donors, at 5 Ways Every Nonprofit Can Be Donor-Centric:
- Thank Every First-Time Donor Three Ways (those three ways are 1. a personalized thank you letter within 48 hours; 2, a phone call to say thanks within 30 days; 3. a follow-up letter stating the result(s) of the gift within 3-6 months)
- Establish Real Donor Service (make it so donor can reach someone who can answer any question or solve any problem. It's worth it!)
- Ask, Then Truly Listen, to Your Donors
- Work Harder for the Second Gift Than You Did for the First
- Place the Donor First in All Actions
You should do these thing because your donors are excellent people who deserve it. But these things also bring home the bacon: They improve donor retention, help upgrading, and minimize downgrading.