Here, from Wired Impact, Nonprofit Marketing Nonsense That Should Stop Immediately. I know you don't do any of these things. But you can warn your friends:
- Planning Projects Without Concrete Goals
- Measuring Your Success by Dumb (or No) Metrics
- Organizing Web Pages Based on Your Needs
- Cluttering and Hiding Your Homepage
- Using Your Blog and Emails to Share Boring Internal News
- Trying to "Go Viral" or Reach the "General Public"
- Scrambling to be Social Media Wizards
- Hoarding Subscribers on Your Mailing List (I don't quite agree with this one. I've seen interesting evidence that continuing to send emails to non-responsive people has some positive effect. But do separate them as a segment from active names!)
- Only Contacting Supporters When You Need Something
- Moving Everything to Digital
Tell everyone to stop!