I didn't believe it at first, but it's true: Using emojis in email subject lines almost always improves open rates. Go figure.
I didn't like this troublesome fact at first. Emoji annoy me. But that doesn't matter, does it? (Had to look it up: the plural of emoji is either emoji or emojis.)
Here are some great tips for using emoji in your fundraising from the Nonprofit Marketing Guide, at BEYOND CUTE: Why Nonprofits Should Try Emoji In Their Digital Marketing:
- Use Emojipedia to find the latest emoji.
- Make Sure It Works (Test it to make sure it displays properly in email).
- Know Your Tone (Four words: Smiling poop ... probably not!).
- Don't Go Overboard (a little emoji goes a long way)
- Words Still Matter (all-emoji subject lines are a challenge).
I personally find emoji annoying; maybe you do too. But that doesn't matter. If you like open rates, use emoji.