Take a look at the contents of my new book, How to Turn Your Words into Money: The Master Fundraiser's Guide to Persuasive Writing:
- Four Things That Don't Work in Fundraising. Four approaches that everyone is tempted to do (I've tried them all) -- and why they never work.
- Fundraising Writing Is Different. How fundraising differs from other common writing disciplines.
- Be SURE about Your Writing. Simple. Urgent. Repetitive. Emotional.
- The Call to Action. What you want donors to do is the single most important thing to focus on in fundraising.
- The Magic Words. There's a good-magic word and an evil-magic word in fundraising. What do you think they are?
- The Sound of Your Writing. Persuasive writing sounds good. Simple tricks for making your writing pleasant to the ear.
- The Elements of a Well-Built Story. The elements that make your stories relevant and persuasive.
- Five Ways to Use Stories for Impact. Proven story structures that touch donors' hearts.
- How Storytellers Tell Stories. What we can learn from natural storytellers.
- The Hero of the Story. Choose your hero carefully -- that determines how effective it will be.
- Word Pictures. How to tell a story when you don't have a story to tell.
- The Evil Cousin of Fundraising. The common approach to fundraising that turns off compassion and warns donors not to give.
- Wholehearted Fundraising: Meeting Donors' Emotional Needs. The right mix of good news and bad news.
- What Good Is Guilt? Does guilt work in fundraising? (Hint: Mostly not.)
- Four Smart Assumptions about Donors. Donors are older than you, more emotional than you, paying attention than you want, and they love to give.
- Who's Ready for the Ahern Rule? Tom Ahern has a secret weapon. Could you use that weapon too?
- Five Fundraising Traps and How to Avoid Them. Knowledge, the wrong audience, numbers, cleverness, and good news.
- Things I Wish I'd Learned Sooner. My writing life would have gone better and come together a lot quicker if I'd known these hard-earned truths sooner!
How to Turn Your Words into Money: The Master Fundraiser's Guide to Persuasive Writing, is available at: