Sometimes you hit a wall when you're working on your fundraising.
And the wall does not respect your deadlines, workload, or urgency. It's just a big wall that's in your way.
The bad and good news is that the wall is entirely within your head. That means you have the power to dismantle it. Or at least climb over it. But because it's in your head, it can be very hard to do those things.
Here are some tips for getting past the wall when you really need to, from the Heroic Fundraising blog, at Fundraisers, Are You Hitting a Wall? Experts Share 5 Tips to Stay Creative:
- Take a break.
- Do something else.
- Build your knowledge.
- Witness the work.
- Ask Questions
I hit the wall a lot, so I have some additional strategies that help:
- Meditate or pray.
- Breathe -- deeply and consciously.
- Turn on some music. (This works for some but not for everyone.)
- Drink some cold water. (The colder, the better.)
- Drink caffeine.
- Drink alcohol. (Not too much -- that'll make it worse!)
- Sneak and do anything. Doing something you don't have permission to do is itself effective.
- Work in a café. (This is my go-to option when I'm stuck. Cafés seem to have good writing magic.)