Every day more Baby Boomers flood into the pool of your potential donors. You cannot afford to ignore them -- to communicate with them the way you have been with the older generation.
Here are some guidelines on connecting with Boomers from the Engage:Boomers blog: The Do's And Don'ts Of Connecting. They're intended for commercial marketers, but you can see how they translate to fundraising:
- Learn as much as you can about physical and behavioral changes caused by the aging process.
- Promote and advertise your [fundraising offer] as a gateway to meaningful experiences....
- Be authentic and give them the facts (reduce hyperbole).
- Portray [your donors] as doing for others, as individuals, as smart, as active, as wise.
- Use Baby Boomers to assist in product, service and communications development.
- Touch their hearts and they will allow you to enter their minds.