Do you delight your donors? Is that even possible?
It might be. And the organizations that figure it out are going to get all the donors in the coming years.
A good place to start is to watch businesses that are seeking to delight customers. As in this post on the Forbes.com Entrepreneurs blog: 6 Steps To Refocus Your Business On Customer Delight.
Here they are. I've changed customer to donor and added some comments:
- Start with an overriding top-down focus on donor experience. (Most nonprofit organization are entirely focused on their mission; donors are an afterthought. In some organizations, donors are seen as the enemy. If you can make this fundamental change happen in your organization, you can expect great things!)
- Find the best of the best models, and aim even higher. (Spy on nonprofits that are getting this right. Then do better than they do!)
- Make sure the team understands the 'why' and the 'how' will follow.
- Tie donor experience to all compensation and recognition. (Really, I dare you!)
- Practice is better than training on what saying 'yes' looks like.
- Collect and publish compelling stories of donor delight.
Delighting donors is a big job. But it will pay off for those who figure it out.