What do people find when they visit your website?
If they're donors, they're looking for evidence that you're real, honest, connected to their values, and worth their support.
They might not be able to tell any of those things if you're making the common homepage errors noted on the Constant Contact blog at 3 Homepage Mistakes that Will Undermine Your Marketing:
- The résumé mistake (a well-organized but uninteresting list of the organization's accomplishments)
- The "Have you seen my vacation pictures?" mistake (self-aggrandizing narratives about how awesome the organization is)
- The "Howdy y'all!" mistake (just a big hello to the world; not enough content)
Remember what donors are looking for, and give them those things:
- What you do -- or better yet, what they can do through you.
- Signs of your legitimacy.