There are a lot of reasons to distrust any given website.
Do people who should be your donors distrust your website -- and those don't donate?
This post from Duct Tape Marketing, 10 reasons why people don't trust your website looks at some of the reasons people don't trust commercial websites. I think you'll agree that these also apply to nonprofit websites:
- You don't have a detailed About Us page.
- You don't have a head shot or team photos.
- You don't have a telephone number listed.
- You don't have a physical contact address listed.
- You don't have any certifications, association or trust badges.
- You don't have any testimonials or reviews.
- You don't provide any client, portfolio or case study information. (For nonprofits, this might be details about your work.)
- You don't blog.
- You don't participate in social media.
- You don't have a decent, mobile-friendly web design.
Most of these things are not hard to do. They can help people feel good about interacting with you online.