Maybe you've noticed it in your inbox: A lot of commercial emails don't seem human at all. Same with many of the messages from nonprofits.
There may be times when the robotic touch is just what you need. But most of the time, you'll do better if your email gives people the sense that a human was involved.
Nonprofit Hub has some hints for this at 5 Ways to Make Your Email Fundraising Appeals Sound More Human:
- Use first and last names.
- Build trust with recipients through the sender, subject line, and preview text.
- Don't use email templates. (Keep it simple and genuine.)
- Talk conversationally. (So important!)
- Let them reply to emails. (Don't use those "donotreply" addresses. And make sure replies go where someone will see them quickly!)