Itching for a website redesign?
Careful: It might not be a smart move. According to research from the Nielsen Norman Group -- reported at Radical Redesign or Incremental Change? -- radical website changes sometimes leave users (your donors) confused, unhappy, and less responsive.
Incremental improvements to your website might be a better way to go:
You may be bored with your current site, but customers likely aren't: they usually don't sit and stare at the site for extended periods every day. [U]sers tend to like designs that are safe and familiar.
So hold your horses.
There are some situations where a major change is necessary, according to the post. Those include:
- The gains from making incremental changes are miniscule or nonexistent
- The technology is severely outdated, making critical changes impossible
- Architecturally the site is a tangled mess
- Severely low conversion rates site-wide
- Benchmarking research reveals your site is far inferior to the competition