A lot of what makes email fundraising ineffective is common practices we shouldn't be doing. The Constant Contact blog has some ideas for things to stop doing, at 7 Email Marketing Practices to Leave Behind in the New Year:
- Stop wingin' it. (Have a plan for a full year. And follow it.)
- Quit sending inconsistently.
- Don't put off contact management. (If everyone on your email list gets the same message at the same time every time, you're doing it wrong!)
- Get over the fear of asking for email addresses.
- Don't ignore new subscribers. (Have a welcome series for them.)
- Don't be afraid to design your own images.
- Stop avoiding metrics and reporting. (Don't work in the dark. Know what's working and what isn't.)
None of these practices are hard to change. But do them -- consistently -- and you'll see better results this year.