One of the easiest things to find if you're looking for advice about online fundraising is bad advice. Here are some common pieces of it, from the Daily Egg: 5 Pieces of Terrible Marketing Advice You Shouldn't Follow.
These are aimed at commercial ventures, but they apply to us too:
- Don't Waste Your Time On SEO. Search matters to your online fundraising. A lot.
- You Should Buy Email Lists. No you shouldn't. They're almost always a serious waste of money.
- Email Is Outdated. Not at all. Email is still a growing medium for fundraising.
- You Should Be on [blank] Social Media Platform. Even the big ones are still small for most fundraisers. If someone tells you some fresh new social media platform is a game-changer, run away before the stupid rubs off on you.
- Don't Ask Customers for [blank] (Shares, Opt-ins, Purchases). If you want them to do something, ask them!
This is the kind of advice that can torpedo your online fundraising.