If you write the way I do, you're in a constant struggle between the fevered disorder of inspiration and creativity and the orderly processes that allow you to juggle lots of ideas and projects. That's the professional writer's life in any field.
Here are some realistic hints from Write to Done, at The Zen of Organized Writing: 5 Steps You Can Take Today:
- Capture Your Ideas Like Roald Dahl (when he had an idea, he would do anything to get it in writing before he lost it).
- Take Charge of Your Unruly Research (organized notes are empowering).
- Get A Room of One's Own (a special place you go to write).
- Own Your Writing Tools, Don’t Let Them Own You.
- Attend to Your Published Work (pay attention to what works).
There's no way around it: You have to be organized. But you can't let the order box you in!