Colloquial, conversational writing is one of the most important tools for fundraising.
If you're an experienced writer, you know how difficult it is to make your writing seem easy, more like casual speech than like professional writing.
Here's a great post from Write to Done: Conversational Writing: 10 Tips by Leo Babauta:
- Listen to yourself talk.
- Listen to others talk.
- Read good conversational writing.
- Write as if you're talking to a close friend.
- Address the reader directly.
- Talk in your head as you write.
- Eliminate formalities.
- But don't be too informal.
- Read it out loud when you're done.
- If it sounds stilted, change it.
Real writers know the strange truth. The less you work on your writing, the more complex and formal it will be.